Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cookie Press Cookies

My Grandma gave me a cookie press for my birthday and I couldn't wait to try it out. I found this recipe and made the cookies a few weeks ago but I forgot to take pictures! So here it is now, cookie press cookies a.k.a Spritz Cookies

2 cups butter, room temperature (must use butter!)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350. Put cookie sheets in refrigerator. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Slowly add in flour. Mix well. Fill cookie press with dough. Squeeze out cookies, following instructions included with the cookie press. Decorate as desired, with sprinkles or whatever else you like. Bake for 10 minutes. When you take them out of the oven you can glaze them (recipe to follow) or just leave them plain. Make sure you return the cookie sheets to the refrigerator after each batch. I usually have 3 cookie sheets going at a time, one in the oven, one in the fridge and one with waiting cookies on it.

Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together. You may need to add more milk or icing sugar to get it to the right consistency.

I love these cookies! And I love my cookie press! It makes it so much easier to make sugar/shortbread cookies without all the rolling and chilling and rolling and chilling of the dough. And, as you can see it makes A LOT of cookies! Almost too many, and unfortunately due to the one egg, you can't halve the recipe very easily.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a scale? If so, you can weigh your egg, then beat it and weigh out half of it for a smaller batch.

    A kitchen scale is soooo useful- Sarah-Wynne and I couldn't live without ours now, especially as so many gluten-free recipes require small amounts of 6 flours. And we use Michael Ruhlman's 'Ratio' iPod app (there's a book too) quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete