Saturday, August 1, 2009

Toffee Bars and Sugar Cookies

I made these last week but I hadn't had a chance to download the pictures onto my computer yet. I had three bags of toffee bits in my baking cupboard so I figured I had to use them for something. So, I went to the manufacturers website for ideas and found this...

Rich Chocolate Cup Toffee Bars

2 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup margarine
1 egg
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (I used pecans)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 package toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x13 pan. Combine flour and sugar. Cut in margarine. Add egg, mix well. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and all the nuts. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of this mixture. Press the rest of the mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the hot crust. Then sprinkle 1 cup of toffee bits over the sweetened condensed milk. Sprinkle the rest of the crust mixture and the rest of the chocolate chips over top. Bake for 25 - 30 min. When it comes out of the oven sprinkle the rest of the toffee bits over top. Cool completely before cutting.

Basically I've decided that when you combine chocolate, toffee and sweetened condensed milk you can't go wrong.

Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter (accept no substitutes)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat until light and fluffy. Combing flour, soda and cream of tartar. Gradually beat into butter mixture. Chill, roll out and cut into shapes. Bake 10-12 minutes (depending on thickness of cookies).

My dad and I usually make these for Valentines cookies. My friend and I made these last week to go along with a major baking project that was stopped short by a storm and power outage. No I'm not going to tell you what the project was I may try it again sometime. Anyway, these cookies are great, its an easy recipe to double or triple or whatever. I frosted them with the icing left over from the Pink lemonade cupcakes I made a while ago and it turns out great! Just as a note: Icing freezes really well and then you always have some in a pinch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment