Thursday, August 29, 2013

Butter Chicken

Last November I went to India for a business trip. It was amazing! It was cool to experience a new culture and, of course, new food. A few months after I got home I decided I wanted to try some new food and so I decided to hunt for some good Indian recipes. I know that butter chicken isn't 'real Indian food' but that's what I tried first. So here's my recipe, which is actually a combination of many other recipes. 
2-3 chicken breasts
1 onion
2 cloves garlic (I use about a teaspoon pre-minced garlic from a jar)
1 can diced tomatoes (large can)
1 can coconut milk 
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp garam masala 
1 tsp curry powder
(Spice amounts are estimates, change to your own preferences)
Rice or Indian bread (such as naan or chapati) as a side
Chop up chicken breasts into small pieces and fry in a wok or other large pan with high sides. 
Chop up onion and garlic. Add to cooked chicken and fry. 
When onions are soft, add the spices to the pan and fry for a minute or so. 
Purée the tomatoes using a hand blender or food processor. Pour puréed tomatoes into chicken/onion/spice mixture. Pour coconut milk in and stir. 
Simmer for 15-20 min. While it is simmering cook rice or bread. 

Serve by pouring sauce over rice or with bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment