Monday, July 13, 2009

Homemade Fish and Chips

My brother's been asking for these for at least 2 months. He loves fish and chips and ever since I saw a show on the cooking network about how to make them without a deep fat fryer he's been begging me to have some.

I will have to admit I did not expect these to turn out at all. And they didn't start off well. My first recipe for fish batter turned into more of a dough than a batter (I'm not posting that recipe). So I tried a second recipe. Anyway, so this meal is more of instructions than a recipe so here goes..
Cut as many (russet) potatoes as you like into slices. 'Parboil' them for 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Make the batter by whisking together 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt.
Using a deep fry (candy) thermometer heat a pot of oil to 360 F. Preheat oven to 250 F.
Drop in potatoes a few at a time for 4 minutes or so. Then place them in a bowl lined with paper towel to soak up the grease. When you have finished frying all of the potatoes put the bowl in the oven to keep warm.
Cut up about 500 gr of cod into pieces the size you want to eat.
One piece at a time dip the cod in batter and then lower into the oil. When it is browned on one side, turn over to brown the other side.
Place on a plate with paper towel until you have finished frying all of the fish pieces.
Serve fish with the chips and also vinegar and tarter sauce or whatever you like.

These were AMAZING. Very worth the time to prepare. So very tasty. Very greasy as well but very tasty. They turned out so well, I was surprised. But yes, I can't really describe how tasty they were... you'll just have to make them yourself. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment