Monday, July 20, 2009

More Cakes... less epic but with a recipe

So I realized I forgot to post the recipe with the Homestar cake this morning. So I thought it would be the perfect time to post the other cakes I've decorated recently, along with the recipe I used for them all. It's my new favourite cake recipe, its really moist and turns out so well.

So this cake I made for my other brother's birthday. I received my cake decorating kit for my birthday (the day before his) so this was my first attempt at cake decorating.

It wasn't so great, I didn't get the icing consistency right and I didn't have a great idea for it. Also, I just used a boxed cake mix because I hadn't found my awesome cake recipe yet.

This was for my best friend's birthday. She loves cephalopods (ie octopi) and so I figured I couldn't pass up the chance to make an octopus cake.

This was the second cake that I decorated and it turned out much better than the first. I drew the octopus myself, then I traced it onto parchment paper and cut out the basic shape. I put the parchment paper on the cake and outlined it with the yellow, then I filled it in with the purple. As a finishing touch I added the eyes and mouth freehand.

This cake was the first one I made with my awesome cake recipe and it was a big hit. There were fifteen people at my friend's party and so this cake was gone in a snap.

This cake was made for another one of my good friends. I didn't really have any idea for him and then this was suggested to me.

Transformers... Robots in disguise....

This one I printed out the design, traced it onto parchment paper and cut out the parchment paper with an exacto knife so that I could fill in all the holes with white icing. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and it turned out quite nicely.

And now... onto the cake recipe that I love. This is the Hershey's 'Perfectly Chocolate' Chocolate Cake recipe from their recipe.

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir well. Stir in boiling water. Batter will be very thin. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 35 min or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to use this for my kids birthdays next month. thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe can also be made into cupcakes - bake them for 20-25 minutes or a 9x13 sheet cake, bake 35-40 minutes.

    ReplyDelete